The Vladivostok cable car is a funicular system in Vladivostok, the only one in the Far East of Russia. Operates since May 1962. Located on the slope of the eagle Orlyna, facing the Golden Horn.
Due to its exotic character and the opening view on the Golden Horn, the Vladivostok cable car became a popular tourist destination, despite the short length of the route (183 meters – it’s 1.5 minutes on the road, a short but bright pleasure).
The Trans-Siberian Railway
The Trans-Siberian Railway, the Great Siberian Route (historical name) is a railway through Eurasia, connecting Moscow with the largest East Siberian and Far Eastern industrial cities of Russia. The length of the highway is 9288.2 km, it is the longest railway in the world. The highest point of the way: Apple Pass (1019 m above sea level). In 2002, complete electrification was completed.
Monument to Sergei Lazo
The monument to the hero of the Civil War, Sergei Lazo, was erected in the same square in the center of Vladivostok, between Lazo and Peter the Great streets. This historic place is one of the most visited by the city’s guests and tourists.
He was a Russian revolutionary, a red commander, during the Civil War proved himself to be an outstanding political and military leader. Sergei Lazo died tragically – at the hands of the interventionists of America and Japan in 1920.
Monument to the Heroes of the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905
The memorial was opened on the territory of the Pacific Fleet Museum and became the first monument to the heroes of the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905 in Vladivostok, established in Primorye, in memory of the events of the war. This memorable sign is a tribute of respect and admiration to the courage and heroism of the Russian sailors, officers and soldiers who defended their homeland during these years, dedicated to the 250th anniversary of the founding of the Pacific Fleet of Russia.
Eagle’s Nest is a hill, the highest point of the historical part of the city of Vladivostok, formerly called Klykov’s Hill. Named in memory of the defense of the Russian troops Shipka Pass in Bulgaria in 1877, during the Russian-Turkish war. The highest point is 199 meters above sea level. Geologically, the hills of Vladivostok belong to the southern Sikhote-Alin.
The oceanarium is a marine museum, which includes live and dry expositions, which are dedicated to the nature of the Pacific Ocean, tropical seas, rivers and lakes of the Far East, the Amazon and Africa.
Expositions of the Oceanarium are located in three halls, with a total area of more than 1500 square meters. The aquarium contains about 120 species of hydrobionts (more than 2,000 specimens). The museum collection consists of more than 1000 exhibits.
The Museum named after V.K. Arsenyev
Primorye State Joint Museum named after V.K. Arsenyev was founded in 1884 as a museum of the Society for the Study of the Amur Region. In 1945 the museum was named after the Russian traveler, geographer, ethnographer, researcher of the Far East Vladimir Klavdievich Arsenyev. Since then, all significant events in Vladivostok are held here – exhibitions, tours, theme nights and other events. If you are the first time in the Primorsky capital, you need to visit the Arsenyev Museum. Here you will touch the history of the city.
The bridge over the Golden Horn
One of the attractions that has become available to tourists only recently is the bridge across the Golden Horn in Vladivostok. The main feature of the Golden Bridge is the V-shaped pylons, whose height is comparable with the 70-storey building – 226 meters. The Golden Bridge is one of the five largest cable-stayed bridges in the world.
Memorial complex "Battle glory of the Pacific Fleet"
Memorial complex “Combat Glory of the Pacific Fleet” is a line of built banners with bronze planks. On them are the names of people who are heroes of the Soviet Union and full cavaliers of the Order of Glory.
Vladivostok GUM is the oldest store in Vladivostok and even in the whole Far East, the successor of the traditions of the Russian merchant community – it keeps pace with progress: now the stage-by-stage reconstruction of the main store and branches is underway, after which the favorite GUM citizens will become a unique shopping center. In 1906, the main building was rebuilt and it took on a form that has survived to this day.
The Vladivostok fortress, whose numerous objects are seen on the tops of the hills, at the base of the rocks and on the sea coast, is recognized as a masterpiece of Russian fortification art and belongs to the most popular and iconic sights of the city. Built at the turn of the XIX and XX centuries and representing a complex of unique defensive structures, it is still rightly considered one of the most powerful sea fortresses in the world.
Pedestrian street with fountains, benches, gothic lanterns “antique”.
The popular name – tracing paper from the Moscow Arbat. The place of cultural pastime of the Vladivostok youth. Оn both sides of the street are cafes, grocery stores, mobile communication salons.
The Intercession Cathedral
The Intercession Cathedral occupies a special place in the history and spiritual life of the regional center of Primorye. Pokrovsky Cathedral was destroyed in 1935. Today, parish churches hold worship services daily, the sacraments of Confession, Communion, Baptism, and Wedding are performed. You can always turn to the priest on duty, ask questions, invite the priest to the sobor, humouri or consecrate the room.
One of the oldest and favorite places for rest of Vladivostok residents. Once upon a time there were the first baths here: the waters of the Amursky Bay were famous for their increased salinity, and therefore they were considered medicinal. And at the beginning of the 20th century along the coastline there was a popular market among the townspeople where they traded fresh fish and seafood
The monument to Lenin was erected in the square opposite the Vladivostok railway station. He seems to welcome the guests of the city. The bronze monument erected in 1930 in honor of the celebration of the 13th anniversary of October is a gift from the workers of the Leningrad factory “Krasny Vyborzhets”. The monument to Lenin can be called one of the best memorials of Primorsky Krai in the genre of monumental plastics.
Monument to the fighters for the power of the Soviets (Central Square of Vladivostok)
The area of fighters for the power of the Soviets in the Far East, it’s just Borcov, it’s also Central – the main square of Vladivostok. It got its name thanks to the giant sculpture of those who once established Soviet power there. It was opened in 1961 as another reminder of the overthrow of the tsarist power and the strength of the Soviet Union. The monument is the largest of all the monuments of Vladivostok. Strict classical forms and rosary lines involuntarily attract attention.
The submarine “S-56” is a diesel-electric torpedo submarine of the middle class, 78 meters long and underwater displacement of almost 1100 tons. The submarine carried out 8 military campaigns, produced 12 torpedo attacks, which resulted in the sunk 10 and damaged 4 warships and enemy transport. By the 30th anniversary of the Great Victory, the flag of the Pacific fleet again flew over its felling, flashed by the winds of three oceans.
The Triumphal Gates
Nikolaevsky triumphal gates, behind which among the townspeople were entrenched the name of Arch Tsarevich, are located in the center of the city, next to the Korabelnaya embankment.
The history of this monument begins in January 1891, when it became known about the forthcoming visit of the Crown Prince Nikolai Alexandrovich Romanov to the throne. Vladivostok City Duma, considering the preparations for the meeting of the high guest, decided to build in his honor “stone triumphal gates.”
In 1927-1930, the Nikolayev Gates were destroyed. The idea to return the city to the monument appeared only in the late 90s of the XX century. The project was executed on the basis of archival documents and old photographs. On March 20, 2002, the foundation laying ceremony of the new arch was held, and on May 16, 2003 – the solemn opening of the Arch of the Crown Prince.
The Eternal Flame
Memorial “Battle glory of the Pacific Fleet” on the ship’s embankment – one of the significant sights of Vladivostok. The memorial dedicated to World War II includes eternal fire.
Railway station Vladivostok
Vladivostok is a railway station of the Vladivostok region of the Far Eastern Railway, located in the city of Vladivostok, the administrative center of Primorsky Krai. Here is the main railway station of the city.
Here ends the Trans-Siberian Railway, which starts in Moscow at the Yaroslavl station and is the longest in the world (9288.2 km).
On October 21, 1909, the Patriot An Chun Gyun traveled by train from Vladivostok to Harbin. In 1937, on the orders of Stalin, the Koreans were sent from here to forced relocation.